In September 1883, in this thriving community of farmers and lumbermen, James A. Decker and Armstrong Taylor established and incorporated the Bank of Baldwin. A national charter request was granted in October 1911, and with that came a new name-The First National Bank of Baldwin.
Since the nineteenth century, the banking office has been in three locations, all within three blocks of the original site. In February 1997 the first branch office, located in Nilssen’s Foods in Baldwin, Wisconsin, was opened. A charter change in mid-2003 resulted in a new, simplified name: First Bank of Baldwin. In August of 2007, First Bank of Baldwin expanded its services area to include two additional branches in Spring Valley and Plum City. In December of 2015 due to modern technology there was no longer a need to have two locations in Baldwin and the Nilssen’s Foods location was closed. In July of 2018 First Bank of Baldwin had an opportunity to open a location where they would be the only financial institution in town and opened a branch in Balsam Lake, WI.
Today, Decker and Taylor would witness a bank advanced in technology, with funding capabilities for industry, housing, and municipal infrastructure. Even with these “big bank” features, the First Bank of Baldwin still maintains its small-town pride.